Every day, millions of people around the World are exposed to insects that can carry malaria, Dengue fever, trypanosomiasis, fi lariasis, leishmaniasis, and other dangerous diseases.
Insect Shield’s long-lasting clothing treatment — proven to last through 70 washings on apparel and 25 washings on gear — is a vital solution for people living in harm’s way.
Lyme disease is the most commonly reported insect borne illness in the United States, and has now become one of the fastest growing epidemics to date, while Malaria is responsible for approximately one million deaths worldwide.
Insect Shield technology converts clothing and gear into long-lasting, effective and convenient insect protection.
The active ingredient in Insect Shield, permethrin, is so tightly bonded to the fabric fibers that it retains effective repellency through the expected life of the product.
Permethrin is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring repellent found in certain types of chrysanthemum plants such as the African Daisy.
The insecticide properties of chrysanthemums have been known for decades. Permethrin affects the nervous system in insects when they come in contact with it.
Permethrin is effective against a number of pesky and potentially dangerous insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies chiggers and midges including those that can carry dangerous diseases such as malaria, dengue fever or Lyme.
The real question is how you can know for sure that you are being protected - Insect Shield has undertaken a variety of testing to ensure that it is effective at reducing the impact of bites - one of these tests is called 'knockdown testing'.
Knockdown is a precise lab test that shows effectiveness through long-term washings. A repellent-treated textile sample is placed in an enclosed space containing insects for a brief period, after which the sample is removed and the insects’ reaction is documented.
- Superior Protection Against Biting Insects - Including mosquitos, ticks, ants, flies, fleas, chiggers and midges
- No Unpleasant Smell - The active ingredient is invisible and odourless
- No Need to Reapply - The active ingredient is bonded into the fabric, so it retains its effectiveness throughout the life of the garment (70 washes) and doesn’t need to be reapplied
- Trusted by Professionals - Insect Shield technology is the result of years of research and field study, and is used by the US Army
- No Need for Professional Laundering - Suitable for home laundering
- Safe for Everyone to Use - The built-in technology stays on your clothes and not your skin, so is safe for everyone to use, including young children
- Environmentally Friendly - The insect Shield process is designed to prevent loss of the active ingredient outside the system, and is more environmentally friendly then other fabric treatments which require wastewater management